Saturday, August 22, 2009

Makes me smile

So a friend of mine posted this on facebook:

Here are my Top 10 Breastfeeding Slogans:
1. I breastfeed because I couldn't produce enough formula.
2. Breastmilk: Never Been Recalled.
3. I drink until I pass out.
4. If breastfeeding in public disturbs you, please feel free to put a blanket over your face.
5. My baby does not like to eat in the bathroom, do you?
6. Yes, I am still breastfeeding; get over it.
7. Formula-$10. Paci- $2. Breastfeeding - Priceless.
8. Don't be a weaner. Breastfeeding is for toddler's too!
9. When you feed your children in a bathroom, I will too.
10. Instant Happy Baby: Just add breastmilk.

My favorite of course is number 6! I never thought I would get to this place. Before Maddie was born I had all these ideas about how wonderful nursing was going to be and how much it would bond us together. Once Maddie was born the guilt set in...I hated nursing! I didn't feel the bonding from nursing that everyone else talked about I bonded with Maddie doing everything so nursing was nothing special. I was determined to continue nursing because it was best for her and all the recommendation say you should exclusively breastfeed to six months and continue to breastfeed for a year. Then Maddie got sick to the point that nursing was the only thing that comforted her. While I hated nursing her a billion times a day I wasn't getting the help from the medical community that I needed and it made her feel better so I did it. Somewhere along the way I realized that it isn't my favorite part of our relationship but it means so much to her and brings her comfort so I accepted it. People ask me about getting her on milk now that she is all most two. It has to be her choice I have offered it to her but she has no interest. Her GI doc said "good luck with that" I guess reflux babies never really take to milk. So we continue this relationship. It is far less frequent, 3 times at the most a day unless she isn't feeling well. I have come to not really care what others think...they do not know what it is like to walk the reflux line..it can be pure hell and if Maddie wants to nurse so be! It is what is best for her and I am confident that she will move beyond it when the time is right.

No comments: